Prior to a city-wide disaster when notice to citizens is possible, the city will activate a precautionary evacuation as follows:
- Authorize the broadcast of radio message(s) on the city's 1670 AM radio station or access the Emergency Broadcast System (EBS) using established procedures.
- Authorize television broadcast of evacuation maps and script.
- Encourage people to visit friends or relatives outside the potential hazard are, if possible.
- Coordinate with law enforcement agencies to release evacuation instruction through patrol car and helicopter public address systems and door-to-door contact, as appropriate, if evacuation is necessary and advise the public not to return to the evacuation area until told to do so.
- Release information about school evacuation (in coordination with school officials).
- Release special instructions for those evacuating pets (animals will not be allowed in mass care facilities).
- Cautions to media about potential dangers and traffic controls or other restrictions in evacuation area
- Gas stations remaining open
- Indicate curfews and travel restrictions in effect within evacuation area
- Locations of emergency medical aid stations and mass care facilities
- Release information on the number of persons being housed and fed at mass care facilities