- Departments and Services
- Fire and EMS
- Emergency Management
- Precautionary Evacuation
Prior to a city-wide disaster when notice to citizens is possible, the city will activate a precautionary evacuation as follows:
- Authorize the broadcast of radio message(s) on the city's 1670 AM radio station or access the Emergency Broadcast System (EBS) using established procedures.
- Authorize television broadcast of evacuation maps and script.
- Encourage people to visit friends or relatives outside the potential hazard are, if possible.
- Coordinate with law enforcement agencies to release evacuation instruction through patrol car and helicopter public address systems and door-to-door contact, as appropriate, if evacuation is necessary and advise the public not to return to the evacuation area until told to do so.
- Release information about school evacuation (in coordination with school officials).
- Release special instructions for those evacuating pets (animals will not be allowed in mass care facilities).
The city will broadcast information on:
- Cautions to media about potential dangers and traffic controls or other restrictions in evacuation area
- Gas stations remaining open
- Indicate curfews and travel restrictions in effect within evacuation area
- Locations of emergency medical aid stations and mass care facilities
- Release information on the number of persons being housed and fed at mass care facilities
During a disaster, the following types of information shall be provided to the public as soon as possible in as much detail as possible:
- Agencies involved in response
- Condition of casualties and where treated
- Identification, age, sex, address of casualties (pending next of kin notification)
- Location of disaster
- Nature and severity of injuries
- Nature of disaster
- Number of casualties, if any
- Places of contact for mission relatives
- Restricted areas
- Scope of agency involvement
- Time of disaster