Eligibility for City Council candidacy during an election is governed by Title 9, Sec 141.001 of the State of Texas Election Code and by Section 3.03 of the City of Watauga Home Rule Charter. In any case in which the requirements are more restrictive in the City's Home Rule Charter as opposed to the State Election Code, the requirements in the City of Watauga Home Rule Charter prevail.
To qualify to be on The Watauga City Council each member:
1. Shall have been a resident of the City of Watauga for a period of not less than 12 months immediately preceding his or her election or shall have been a resident of the city or of territory annexed into the City under the provisions of the City Charter during the 12-month period preceding his or her election.
2. Shall be a qualified voter of the State of Texas and the City of Watauga.
3. Shall not be employed by the city.
4. Shall not hold another elective governmental office.
5. Shall be 21 years of age or older at the time of assuming office.
6. Shall not have been determined to be mentally incompetent by a final judgment of a court.
7. Shall have not been finally convicted of a felony offense or a misdemeanor offense involving moral turpitude from which the person had not been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disability. For purposes of this Home Rule Charter, a crime of moral turpitude shall mean a criminal offense involving fraud, deceit, dishonesty, or a criminal offense that is inherently immoral.