Student participants are selected by one of three ways.
- Appointment by a Watauga Fire Department member.
- Referral by a City employee or civic leader.
- Referral by the students homeroom or advisory teacher.
Student participants are referred and selected based on outstanding academic excellence and expressed interest in the fire service. To be eligible a student must be 10-12 years of age, must have successfully completed the 4th grade, and must be on the A or A/B honor roll. Due to the physical nature of the camp there are some physical requirements that must be met for eligibility.
Activities and Skills Involved.
- Fire apparatus and equipment recognition
- Fire hose and stream operation
- Fire type recognition and extinguisher training
- First aid skills
- Hazardous material recognition
- Home fire safety and evaluation
- Ladder operations
- Rope rescue and rappelling
- Severe weather training
- Use of fire service ropes and knots
- Vehicle extrication demonstrations
At the conclusion of camp a graduation ceremony is held with immediate family members in attendance. The ceremony provides an opportunity to acknowledge outstanding participation of individual students and praise of all students along with award presentations and a video recap of the week's events.